6.22.2011

Baggage [Old Poem]

Found this in the files...it is unfinished...



Baggage

I decided I’m leaving or maybe you said “Go”
Either way I can’t stay here, so
I open the Louis Vuitton suitcase
Pack it with pieces of this place.

In the front pocket, I put that ring
The one from dad with the opal stone and tiny bling
I’ll just keep the ring throw the box away
Like how daddy remembers the month, but never says, “Happy Birthday.”

I pack away some sweaters, the world can be chilly
Take a nice dress for when I’m pushing up lilies.
If I don’t take my umbrella, it’ll probably rain.
A few drops won’t hurt, my cheeks don’t have any stains.

Zip it all up, I hope everything’s safe inside.
No locks, cause the government says I have nothing to hide.
Roll my suitcase out the door, locking up this place.
Stand outside as the rain rolls down my face.

Make my way to the airport in a taxi cab.
No turning back, left almost everything I had.
Went to the ticket counter, to verify who I am.
Or who I will be or who I was, damn.

Head over to security, they start asking “Who? What? & When?”
They’re wondering about my baggage, and the contents within.
But I have no firearm, no explosive, no knife
I’m just carrying emotions, memories, you know just life.

And as luck would have it I’d been randomly selected.
To have all my fears, hopes, and dreams publicly inspected.
“Johnson’s Baby shampoo? Ma’am you can’t take this through here.”
Security just doesn’t understand the concept of tears.

Make my way to the gate, and time goes quickly by.
Then board the jet, and it’s my turn to fly.
We take off, we land, and the stewardess gives everyone a grin.
“Beware, contents may have shifted in the overhead bin.”

As I made my way to the passenger pick up zone.
I realized no one was coming and I was all alone.
The weight was so heavy; I had to set my suitcase down.
It looked so lonely too, sitting there on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment